Acne cause by medicationsHi, I have some severe, painful acne that I believe is most likely caused by the lithium that I take for my bipolar disorder. It is mainly on my chin and lower cheeks. Most of the time it is on my shoulders as well, but that area is clear right now. The acne does not respond at all to any treatments I have used except my one month on antibiotics. However, the antibiotics were rough on my body and gave me chronic yeast infections.
I have taken lithium for three years, during which my acne has varied from very severe to not so bad.
I try to keep a healthy diet, I drink a lot of green and herbal teas, eat mostly vegetables and meats, and excercise fairly often. I also have a very sensitive stomach, with a lot of pain in the middle area of my right ribcage, usually brought about after eating. A colonoscopy revealed nothing unusual. I also have restless legs and a lot of unexplained leg pain. My bipolar disorder is type II, with mostly anxious depression and rapid mood swings.
I am a 23 year old female. I am new to homeopathy and afraid to just start all on my own. I also don't know how the lithium factors in, if it is indeed causing the acne. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this acne is really stubborn.
lulila on 2007-09-22
sulphur is just to negate the bad effects of the previous medications you have been taking for so long.
to find the remedy for you, we need to know your totality which requires a full case taking.
thus, you may fill up the questionnair and wait for responses from the physicians.
Patient ID: Sex: Age: Nature of work: Habits:
Please answer the following questions in a descriptive manner after careful analysis and recollection of previous experiences and happenings.
1. Describe your main suffering?
2. What other physical sufferings do you have in your body?
3. What mental sufferings / feelings do you have associated with your physical sufferings?
4. What exactly do you feel when you are at your worst? Describe the sensation in your own words.
5. When did it all start? Can you connect it to any past event or disease?
6. Which time of the day you are worst?
7. What are the things which aggravate your suffering and which are those which ameliorate the same? Example- time, temperature, pressure, rubbing, washing, eating, tight clothing etc.
8. Do your think your sufferings have relation to any external stimuli (like, change of place) or any internal biological changes in the body, like, menses (in females)?
9. When do you feel better, during hot weather or cold weather, humid or dry weather?
10. Describe your general mental set up? Are you Moody, Arrogant, Mild, Agreeable Changeable, Nervous, Suspicious, Easily offended, Quiet, Arguing, Irritating, Lazy etc.
- How do you feel before or during a thunderstorm?
- Do you like being consoled during your tough times?
- Are you sensitive to external stimuli like smell, noise, light etc?
- Do you have any typical habit or gesture like nail biting, causeless
Weeping, talking to one self etc?
- How do you feel about your friends, family, your children and especially your husband / wife?
11. What are your fears and do you dream of any situation repeatedly?
12. What do you crave for in food items and what are your aversions?
13. How is your thirst: Less, Normal or Excessive?
14. How is your hunger: Less, Normal or Excessive?
15. Is there any kind of food which your body cant stand?
16. Is your sweat normal or less or more? Where does it sweat more: Head, Trunk or Limbs?
17. How is your bowel movement and stool type?
18. How well do you sleep? Do you have a particular posture of sleeping?
19. Do you think you are able to satisfy your sexual desires in general?
20. Do you have any strange, peculiar or unusual symptom or feelings? How are you different from others?
21. What medications have been taken earlier by you to treat the diseases and do you have any particular symptom surfacing after the medication?
22. What major diseases are running in your family?
23. Describe, how do you look like? Describe your overall appearance.
24. If your menstrual cycles are not normal, please describe the irregularities, like pains, moods, flow type, clots etc.
25. What major diseases have you had in your life and when. Please write them in a chronological manner.
♡ rishimba last decade
faisal qureshi last decade
Here are my responses to the questions:
Patient ID: 23 years old, student, I'm not exactly sure what habits means
1. My main concern is my acne on my chin
2. I have bipolar II disorder, restless legs, unexplained burning leg pains since birth that come and go, irritable bowel which is mostly in the form of stomach pain
3. I'm not sure I have a lot of mental sufferings associated with the acne, besides stress
4. When I am at my worst personally, I can feel numb and like my life means nothing, sometimes I am suicidal. When my acne is at it's worst, it's painful and red.
5. My acne started when I was in 5th grade. It's been worse since I started taking lithium, 3 years ago.
6. It's usually a little better in the morning before I wash it
7. Nothing external seems to affect it one way or the other, but washing and touching do irritate it.
8. It is irritated by PMS
9. I don't like humidity or heat
10. I am generally depressed in the morning and sometimes throughout the day. I am often hysterical and I cry a lot.
I don't live in an area with a lot of thunderstorms, but I can say that I feel worse before it rains.
I always like to be consoled when times get rough. I get lonely a lot.
Certain scents bother my breathing and hurt my eyes, especially synthetic scents. I'm also sensitive to bright light.
I bite my nails and tend to pick at and pull out my hair and eyelashes.
I love my close friends and family very much, and I am unmarried. I don't tend to get close to many people, but when I do, I get very close.
11. I have always had a fear of drowning and being buried alive. I am also afraid of the unknown, such as outer space. The thought that the universe never ends and never began, and has no boundaries, terrifies me. I have vivid dreams, but they don't repeat themselves much.
12. I love Asian and Indian foods of all kinds. I tend to crave salty foods. I'm not a big fan of foods like pot roast and meatloaf, or foods you cook in slow cookers. I really dislike bell peppers.
13. Because of the lithium I take, I drink A LOT of water.
14. I usually have a normal hunger
15. As I said before, bell peppers are really hard for me to eat.
16. I sweat a normal amount, but I tend to sweat on my chest, and it produces a unique odor
17. I'm often a little constipated, but not too bad
18. I take Seroquel for depression, and it puts me to sleep. I usually sleep on my side with on leg raised up toward my chest
19. I can usually satisfy my sexual desires
20. I'm different because I'm bipolar, and I'm depressed and feeling out of control a lot. I'm also different because my legs always hurt.
21. I was on antibiotics, which worked, but the acne came back.
22. My mom just fought breast cancer, and my dad is an alcoholic.
23. I am 5'7 with dirty blone hair. I weigh about 145-150, am slim with a healthy body. I have a wide nose and hazel eyes.
24. I have an IUD which causes me to have very few menstrual cycles. Before, they were incredibly painful. The IUD is the only thing that's helped.
25. My only major disease is that I'm bipolar.
lulila last decade
start this treatment at least one week after taking SULPHUR.
in this case, i have chosen SULPHUR as the starting remedy based on your overall disease picture.
♡ rishimba last decade
lulila last decade
Also, before I started the Sulphur, I developed some very rancid, embarrassing gas that still persists. My allergies also felt like they got a lot worse all of a sudden. My eyes burn a lot, my throat hurts, and my nose runs a lot, so much that it sometimes drips.
I've also been feeling pretty depressed for no reason the past couple of days, and before that, I felt really good for a few days. I tend to have these cycles where I feel good one day and bad the next. Sometimes the cycles are worse. I'm trying to work on improving my positive thinking.
I was hoping that you'd still help me even though I'm taking the antibiotics for the acne.
lulila last decade
after about 2 weeks you take 3 doses of NUX VOM 30c on a single day at 4 hours interval.
after 2 days, start CAUSTICUM as suggested earlier.
if you want a long term cure, you should do away with anti biotics and have the courage of bearing the aggravations if any for some days.
♡ rishimba last decade
To post a reply, you must first LOG ON or Register
Information given in this forum is given by way of exchange of views only, and those views are not necessarily those of ABC Homeopathy. It is not to be treated as a medical diagnosis or prescription, and should not be used as a substitute for a consultation with a qualified homeopath or physician. It is possible that advice given here may be dangerous, and you should make your own checks that it is safe. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention. Bear in mind that even minor symptoms can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, and a timely diagnosis by your doctor could save your life.