Homeopathic treatment for Ulcerative ColitisDear All,
I have tried to provide as much detail as possible in this post, and would greatly appreciate some advice on a Homeopathic remedy for my Ulcerative Colitis.
I am a 34 year old male and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis around 7 years ago. The UC is what I understand to be of the `Distil` type and is present in a 30-40cm length of bowel, quite close to my bottom. I usually take Asacol tablets at a doseage of 6 tablets a day. When I have a flare-up, it creeps up on me so slowly that it cannot easily be identified to one particular food. The flare-ups start about a month in advance, increasing in intensity.
I generally have around 1, perhaps 2 flare-ups per year which give the following symptoms:-
1. The need to go to the loo up to around 10-12 times during the day and perhaps around 1-2 times per night.
2. At the most severe time of flare up, I basically have diarehha. In the earlier/late stages of the flare-up I have sloppy or unformed stools which can simply resemble water. I have never seen mucus, but sometimes blood, other times no blood. There is very rarely blood on the toilet seat.
3. A pushing pain in my abdomen/ inside my bum which forces the stool out quickly, or a pushing pain where no stool comes out.
4. There is always a need to get to the toilet quickly.
5. I have a light pain in the left hand side of my abdomen which is removed very quickly with a light dose of Co-codamol either soluble or tablets
6. I become cold and have trouble warming up (to such an extent that I need a warm bath).
7 I do become slightly miserable and perhaps snappy
8. I feel drained and look pale in the face (perhaps as the result of diareahha)
8. I sometimes have to take up to a week off work (although generally I can avoid this be being close to a loo)
In the last seven years I have had three courses of Cortisteriods which remove the above symptoms within around 5-6 weeks, to such an effect that I would not know I had UC. During my last flare-up, my doctor increased the dose of Asacol to 12 a day which removed the flare-up. I have had Asacol enema's during flare-ups which have proved ineffective.
My diet is pretty poor and consists of:- Oily fish (2-3 times per week), Baked potatoes (5-6 times per week), chicken breasts (2 times per week), pork (1 time per week), Pasta dishes (1 time per week), Green beans (3 times per week), Sweet Corn (3 times per week), Smoothies (2 times per week), Goats milk (around 1.5 pints a day), yoghurts (1 per day), orange juice (1 pint per week), chocolate, pizza, Chinese food (2 times a month), tea (5 cups a day), water (around 1 pint a day), mild curry (2 meals a month). Alchoholic drink (2 bottles of wine per week).
On the face of it, whilst disruptive during a flare-up, it appears my UC is not the worst case by any means. However, whilst they are effective, I would like to avoid taking too many courses of steroids and would prefer to stay on Asacol as I understand the next family of tablets can be pretty awful. I am ideally looking for a Homeopathic medicine which supplements the Asacol tablets.
Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Submariner on 2008-02-22
♡ deoshlok last decade
♡ deoshlok last decade
To post a reply, you must first LOG ON or Register
Information given in this forum is given by way of exchange of views only, and those views are not necessarily those of ABC Homeopathy. It is not to be treated as a medical diagnosis or prescription, and should not be used as a substitute for a consultation with a qualified homeopath or physician. It is possible that advice given here may be dangerous, and you should make your own checks that it is safe. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention. Bear in mind that even minor symptoms can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, and a timely diagnosis by your doctor could save your life.