≡ ▼
ABC Homeopathy Forum


The ABC Homeopathy Forum

7 year old daughter, we just learned, has pica. Appreciate any response.

I won't even try eplaining how it feels to learn that your 7 year-old child has been eating dirt, rocks, clay, erasers, pencil lead, chalk, etc., for at least 2 years without ever having been told about it. That's a whole other topic. (Like whay didn't I see this? I watch my kids and don't let them wander. I never saw it.) Anyway, I looked in the Remedy Finder to see if any phrasing for this disorder would be acknowledged, but nothing. So, I am asking for help here. She has low iron, and as soon as I discovered the pica (geophagy) I learned as much as I could on immediate therapy. Iron supplementation was the first thing (along with vitamin C for absorption). These are dietary, though.She has been thought to have ADHD for a couple of years. Evidently, severe iron deficiency can cause such symptoms. I would like someone to help me (rather her) with this. I don't agree with the doctors about the drug treatment necessary. I will not do that to my child. Aside from physically restraining her at all times, so as to insure that she does not injest any more of these things, I see no real solution. Restraining is not a solution, either, it is just a very extreme measure that I feel would probably cease the eating of earth substances - but not necessarily solve the problem or help her at all.
  M&M+3 on 2010-02-06
This is just a forum. Assume posts are not from medical professionals.
I have no prior experience in the treatment of your 7 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with Pica and as you state is eating all manner of substances which are inappropriate for her age.

I was consulted by a patient whose son at 13 years was over 5ft and was eating unusually large quantities of food. He was in normal health and I prescribed Calcium (Rejucalcium) on the off chance that his eating in excess was perhaps due to his body craving this chemical as his rapidly growing bones demanded it. I was informed by the father that within a week, his son's appetite returned back to normal. The boy is now 16 and is a 6 footer and a Rugby star in his school with a healthy body and bulk and eats normally.

It occurred to me that your daughter may also benefit from a daily dose of Calcium and you can give her a tablet as indicated on the label and observe if she responds.
Joe De Livera last decade
You may give her Calcarea Carb 30c thrice a day at a gap of 4 hours for one day (not daily, only one day) and see whether it helps in next 10 days. If it doesn't work you may try alumina 30c in the same way.
kadwa last decade
Thank you, for both responses. As for the Calcium, I had read that Calcium inhibits the absorption of the Iron supplement. We are a military family, and the military does not have doctors trained to advise or prescribe in holistic or homeopathic means. Also, we are now waiting our referral appointment to a psychologist. They did not check her stomache to see if years of eating these things had done damage, but I suspect it has. She is always hungry. She says her stomach always feels empty. She is a very thin child, though, and active. I had thought it due to the 'ADHD' symptoms. I will certainly research more on calcium. She is a cheese-lover, so I am not even quite sure if she is not already getting plenty calcium. And I will also stop by the market and see if they have those two remedies suggested. I thank yo very much. I hope to have good news to report soon.
M&M+3 last decade
HI, I would like to ask you if your daughter had these remedies and what was the effect?
I have 2 boys who has same symptoms
and would like to know...
Thank you so much.
mmaayyuu 9 years ago

Post ReplyTo post a reply, you must first LOG ON or Register


Information given in this forum is given by way of exchange of views only, and those views are not necessarily those of ABC Homeopathy. It is not to be treated as a medical diagnosis or prescription, and should not be used as a substitute for a consultation with a qualified homeopath or physician. It is possible that advice given here may be dangerous, and you should make your own checks that it is safe. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention. Bear in mind that even minor symptoms can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, and a timely diagnosis by your doctor could save your life.