Need help with 21mo old toddler with multiple health issues since birthHello, was wondering if you could add insight into issues with my daughter. She is 21mo old. 18 hours after birth, she presented with not eating. She was taken to the NICU and blood tests showed severe drops in her blood sugar which casued seizures. Eventually she was diagnosed with Pan-hypo-pituitarism. Her pituitary gland did not fully form in utero. She has the following issues:
- In NICU, she was dosed with phenobarbitol for 2 days to prevent further seizures (she has had no further seizures since these initial ones).
- She didn't pass her meconium stool. Dr's thought she had a bowel obstruction. Underwent a barium enema to investigate bowel structure (all OK) and passed meconium.
- Has an ongoing issue with constipation.
- She went through and MRI at approx. 24hrs old to confirm Pan hypo pit. diagnosis.
- Was diagnosed with severe reflux and had surgery to do a Nissen Fund. and place a gastronomy tube.
- Bloodwork identified at a few days old her AST and ALT liver enzymes were very high 600/750 range. Was dosed with antibiotics/antivirals in case of infection. Stopped after 2 days. Liver enzymes remained elevated to date (in low 100's).
- At 6mo, underwent a 2nd MRI and confirmed no further brain trauma.
- She has delays in milestones (only started crawling at 12mo and has not begun pulling herself to standing to date).
- Verbally, she makes good sounds but is not making words (i.e. dada and connecting it to daddy, etc.) She does sign a little and understands direction i.e. 'give me the toy, etc'
Our biggest issue is that she has had severe abdominal bloating since around 6-7 months of age. An ultrasound revealed that her organs look normal, but she's full of air. Her belly is so distended that her belly button is turned inside out. She is currently on Miralax daily to help the constipation as well as replacement hormones for cortisone, growth hormone and thyroid.
I have used homeopathic remedies on her (colic, teething, colds, etc.) and she responds well to them. But I'm at a loss for the bloating/gas/constipation. I tried lycopodium and saw little improvement.
I found a reference to alumina and would like to know:
A) would this be an appropriate remedy to try
and if so,
B) what is the appropriate dosage?
Again, she is 21mo old, 22# and 30' long. She's happy and active. She's beginning to eat orally, but has been mainly tube fed (breastmilk and organic formula). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
dawnb122200 on 2010-03-12
Can you please give the following information
1. whether she prefers warm surroundings ie whether she likes to be covered or she prefers cold surroundings and open air.
2. whether she has a mild disposition or an irritable diposition. How is her attitude towards her friends and relatives?
3. What other physical problems, if any does she have.
4. At what time she feels better and at what time does she feel worse like in the morning, evening, late night etc.
5. What do you think is the causative factor for starting her problems.
6. How is her thirst for cold drinks, hot drinks and water.
♡ kadwa last decade
With regards to the lycopodium, pellets of 30C, we tried 3-5 pellets 2-3 times a day for about 5 days. We saw little improvement.
1. We live in Northern Michigan, so we have temp extremes. She has a tendency to switch between warm and cold, especially when she sleeps. She will go days where she stays covered and then others where you can't keep a blanket on her. She refuses to keep socks on. Her room (and the house) is kept between 68-70 deg F. Her room has a humidifier.
Usually her hands and feet are cold, but not sure if it's tied to physical issues or the fact that she's crawling around on hardwood floors.
She likes going outside, but does get irritable on extremely windy days and bright sun in her eyes (i.e. riding in the back of the car) also causes crabbiness.
2. She has a pretty mild disposition. Usually pretty happy, smiley, plays well with other children. But this can change in a blink, where something will set her off from a smile/giggle to outright crying fit. It will take a good amount of time/cuddling to get her to calm down. She's usually good with other kids but also plays well by herself.
Around 18mo, she began to get the 'stranger anxiety' (especially with the doctors or strange adults) but is happy to go to adults she is familiar with. Typical for the age, nothing over the top.
3. - Physically, her optic nerves are 'on the small side'. Structurally, her eyes are fine, but the connection between the retina and the brain (at least we have been told) will be 'slower than normal'. However, she seems to see fine right now. We won't know more until she can communicate better. She's been fitted for glasses but refuses to wear them...at all...
- She was experiencing mucous buildup in the corners of her eyes and pretty consistent nasal congestion. Our opthamologist did a probing of her tear ducts...they were blocked. He also identified that on her right side, she did not form a lower tear duct, but does have the upper one. The left side is fine. The nasal congestion cleared significantly. Now, only occasional congestion with teething.
- The MRI revealed that there was 'white matter' on her brain (lower right side) that indicated lack of oxygen trauma during the seizure. We're aren't sure what, if any, long-term affect it will pose. The 2nd MRI showed no degredation of the area, but no improvement either.
- She wasn't feeding properly in the NICU. Didn't want to take a bottle. In order to leave the NICU, we agreed to the g-tube (or we'd probably still be there). After bouncing to 3 different feeding therapists, our current one finally identified a tight upper frenulum. It was clipped 2/4/10 and within 2 weeks, she began eating baby food and drinking (some) out of a bottle and sippy.
- Lastly, she has a rash directly around her g-tube stoma site (in a perfect circle). Looks 'psoriasis-like'. We've tried treating both fungal & yeast with prescribed creams with no improvement. I use olive oil w/ a few drops of lavender and/or straight coconut oil to keep it from drying. Drying makes it flaky, itchy and she will scratch and it will bleed. The oils soften, but it stays red and slightly raised.
She has similiar looking irritation in the corners of both eyes. Same as above, I keep oil to keep it soft. If I try to remove the 'plaque buildup' it will bleed...but it is not scabbed.
4. She usually wakes up with a smile. She is usually irritable during her late feed (between 10-11pm) one, from waking her up to feed her, but also gets crabbier as the day progresses, especially if she doesn't have a bowel movement.
5. Causative factor? Not sure. Dr's said the pituitary forms with the midline of brain around 8-9wks gestation. In her case, it was just the way the cells formed.
I had no problems/complications with the pregnancy aside from getting hit with 'late afternoon - evening' sickness about that 7-8wk mark. My 2 other pregnancies were much easier nausea-wise. I was taking pre-nate vits. about 2 weeks before getting pregnant and continued them throughout the pregnancy. Blood pressure was always good, all tests normal (no gestational diabetes) and I didn't have any of the genetic testing (i.e. amino-type testing).
Dr's said that there was no marker (genetic, neural tube defect, etc. that would cause this) it was a 'roll of the dice'...about 1 in 3,000,000 chance.
6. She prefers warmed milk & room temp water. Gets agitated and refuses the bottle/sippy if it's cold. She prefers her pureed food warmed as well. If cold, she will not eat.
She prefers savory food with strong flavors...mushrooms, curry, beef, etc. Will not eat rice/oatmeal and will only take tastes of sweet stuff...mostly refuses fruit, sweet veggies. She absolutely refuses any kind of juice, even a 1/10 dilution with water.
Also to note, I have been working with as much natural/non-invasive techniques as I can since we came home with her. She has received chiropractic (now every other week) since she was 6wks old. She has had cranial-sacral work and infant massage done since she was about 6mo old (and has made a HUGE improvement in her cranial structure)...her 'soft spot' was indented.
I also give her reiki treatments regularly, although interestingly, I have to do it when she's asleep. She becomes EXTREMELY agitated if I try when she's awake. I have to stop. She gets figgity when she's asleep, but I can usually finish a short session.
Again, thank you...I appreciate the help. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
dawnb122200 last decade
One dose means
If the medicine is in pills form 2 pills. Don't touch pills with hand. Use cap of bottle to take pills.
If the medicine is in liquid dilution form, 1 drop in some 10 ml water. Sip up slowly.
Please follow homeo restrictions like no coffee, no raw onion/garlic, no strong perfumes, don't eat or drink anything within 15 minutes before or after taking medicine.
♡ kadwa last decade
So, dosed her with the Sulfur as directed on 3/13/10. She did take the dissolved pellets by mouth. Over the last 10 days, we've seen some improvements.
- The rashes, both on her belly (around the stoma) and the corners of her eyes is not nearly as red and raised as it has been in the past. We can begin to see some normal skin where we haven't been able to see any before. I continued putting the coconut oil on, but have seen improvement beyond what I've seen just using the oil.
- Her BM's have improved and become more regular.
- She has begun eating at least 1 jars worth of baby food willingly at each meal and taking a couple of ounces of milk by mouth. We've almost got her drinking out of a straw.
Overall, though, she has been EXTREMELY irritable (at least for her). Can't decide if she wants to be put down to play or held. She's slept well at night (through the night, no waking); however, her naps are almost non-existent since dosing (although her naps have always been spotty...some days 1-2 hrs, other days 15-20min). She's woken up cranky (both in the morning and after the short naps) consistently for the past week and a half.
She has been extremely congested both nasally and in her eyes. The discharge has been yellowish-green and thick. She has a wet cough (though not coughing up any mucous). She's been running a low-grade fever (99-100deg F). Not sure if this is remedy-related or if she picked up a cold from her school-age brothers.
Regarding the fever, her forehead feels warm consistently, but the rest of her body (back/abdomen, hands/feet are actually cool to cold to the touch. Normally if she has a cold and runs a fever, her whole body runs hot.
Her abdomen is still very distended. To give you an idea, the bloating extends from right below her sternum down to the top of her pubic bone and if you measure her belly at her 'waist', her belly is distended about 14 inches round. Again, ultrasound has shown she's full of air and no issues with her organs being enlarged exist (or have been identified at this time).
Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you again...
dawnb122200 last decade
♡ kadwa last decade
dawnb122200 last decade
To post a reply, you must first LOG ON or Register
Information given in this forum is given by way of exchange of views only, and those views are not necessarily those of ABC Homeopathy. It is not to be treated as a medical diagnosis or prescription, and should not be used as a substitute for a consultation with a qualified homeopath or physician. It is possible that advice given here may be dangerous, and you should make your own checks that it is safe. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention. Bear in mind that even minor symptoms can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, and a timely diagnosis by your doctor could save your life.