Please help - 6 weeks old baby girl with a severe silent refluxDear doctors,
I have a little, 6 weeks old baby girl with severe symptoms of silent reflux. We noticed the symptoms very early on - I had a feeling something was wrong even in the hospital, and by the time she was 2 weeks old we were absolutely certain that silent reflux was her problem.
We went to paediatrician who confirmed the diagnosis, however, in our country, babies under 1 year are not given any kind of medicine, but parents are advised to wait until the baby outgrows the problem.
We as parents, are also not keen on giving potentialy harmful medicine to our baby girl, however, we cannot simply wait until she outgrows it because the symptoms are horrible, she is in constant pain and the whole family is suffering too. So homeopathy came to us as a possible solution. So here we are, looking for your help and we would really appreciate if some of you might find some time to advise us on how to treat our daughter.
First, here are some general facts that might help you:
- I had a beautiful pregnancy, no sickness, worked until 32nd week, felt great, no stress whatsoever
- The delivery was also smooth, I gave birth to my baby girl 8 days earlier, my water broke around 3 a.m., the water was clear, no pains, the pains started around 5.30 a.m., we were in the hospital around 6.30 a.m., the labour itself started around 8 a.m. and I gave birth to my baby girl at 9.30 a.m. Naturally.
- She is 6 weeks old now, 3.900 grams, 52.5 cm
- She is gaining weight and growing without any problems so far
Now, about her silent reflux symptoms:
- She cries all day (literally, there is no pause, except when breastfeeding), her cries often turn into painful screams, she is red in the face, with a very painful expression on her face
- She arches her neck, streches a lot, then pulls her legs up
- She constantly spreads her arms and legs in a manner that is similar to Moro's Reflux, but it's actually more likely Sandifer's Syndome connected to the acid coming up
- She is generally very stiff and she is already able to hold her little head up
- She is not able to burp, we try different techniques, sometimes it works, but generally it doesn't. Also (what is very strange becuase it's the opposite of what is usually reccomended for silent reflux) she seems to be worse after burping since the stomach content immediately goes up
- She rarely vomits (it only happened 3 times and it was such a small amount of breastmilk, that I'm not really sure if you can call it vommiting)
- She hiccups a lot
- She coughs and sneezes frequently
- Her voice is often hoarse
- She has winds, that are very smelly, and sometimes she cries or even wakes herself up when she passes a wind
- Her stools are explosive and liquidy, however, they are yellow in colour, not green. Sometimes she goes for 2/2.5 days without passing a stool.
- The only time she is peaceful is while she is breastfeeding - and she wants to breastfeed all the time. However, when the refluks attacks are specifically bad, she arches, moans and cries on the breast too.
- After eating, when you move her, you can immediately hear the stomach content go up and she immediately screams (so there is no pause at all between feeding and the reflux attack)
- She generally doesn't like to be moved a lot and she easily becomes overly stimulated
- Driving in a pram/car seat is also a problem for her
- She also doesn't like to be carried upwards, on the shoulder, which is also strange, generally she is more comfortable if you hold her in 35-45% angle or in an upwright position where you hold her chest and chin with one hand and pull one hand under her bottom
- Generally, it seems that she feels best in the morning, than the symptoms get worse during the afternoon and in the night they become really bad
- During the night, the stomach content goes into her nose too
- Because of all this, she had trouble sleeping when we layed her on her back or on the side (during the day and especially during the night) but then we started laying her down on her tummy because she was exausted (which made the reflux symptoms even worse so we felt that this was the only solution), and in that way she is able to sleep in streches of maximum 2 to 3 hours. However, when she sleeps she is not peaceful, she moans, growns, coughs, passes winds and sometimes cries. When she awakes, she immediately wants to be fed otherwise she screams. When I feed her, if we are lucky, she sleeps some more, if not, she cries and we carry her around the house.
If I have forgotten something, I will let you know.
Please, please, please, find some time to read this and advise me on how to treat my daughter with homeopathy. She is in so much pain and we are desperate :( We will be forever grateful for your help.
[message edited by Amber1 on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:43:26 UTC]
Amber1 on 2016-04-15
To post a reply, you must first LOG ON or Register
Information given in this forum is given by way of exchange of views only, and those views are not necessarily those of ABC Homeopathy. It is not to be treated as a medical diagnosis or prescription, and should not be used as a substitute for a consultation with a qualified homeopath or physician. It is possible that advice given here may be dangerous, and you should make your own checks that it is safe. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention. Bear in mind that even minor symptoms can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, and a timely diagnosis by your doctor could save your life.