≡ ▼
ABC Homeopathy Forum


The ABC Homeopathy Forum

Homeopathic doctor from india - practice in USA

I am homeopathic doctor (bachelors hoemopathic medicine and surgery )graduated from india and i have my own clinic there.I am now living in pittsburgh, pennsylvania. Can any one tell me how can i get a license to practice here in USA. do i need any US degree for that. Thanks in advance...
  umadevigaddam on 2006-08-07
This is just a forum. Assume posts are not from medical professionals.

Each state has a different set of requirements. You might try contacting Todd Hoover, a homeopath in Narberth, Pennsylvania. I think he could point you in the right direction. (Sorry, I don't know the best way to contact him.)
Daisy43 last decade
oh, here you go!
Daisy43 last decade
Daisy43 last decade
Apologies again, too much caffeine?


That is a link to the National Center for Homeopathy directory. Hoover is listed in there.
Daisy43 last decade
hi thank you very much for your response...
umadevigaddam last decade
Hi Uma.Have you got a reply for your query.Please share the information with me.

I have visited various sites but have not been able to fathom the procedures.

Thanks and regards
semohan last decade
Hi Uma,

In the United States, homeopathy is not very well known. However, most good homeopaths that I know in the US have practices that are booked solid. They don't need to advertise or promote much. Word of mouth spreads very quickly in the US.

You may want to find the closest health food stores and place some flyers for your work or business cards.

Contact homeopathy.com, and homeopathy.org to find out about legal requirements. However, the several homeopaths in the United States that I know do not have licenses.
BeginningHomeopath last decade
Only regestered medical professionals can practice homeopathy. No degree from India is recogonised.

However in California laws are somewhat lax and many people with qualifications or without qualifications are practicing there, so far no crackdown beside the same laws there.

In New Jersey and New York states etc. laws are very strict, cease and desist notice is served immidiately as one is caught practicing any kind of medicine without being a qualified medical professional ie: MD, Nurse etc.
Second time there is no second time, it is jail.
girilal last decade
There are many homeopaths practicing in the United States.

Each state has it's own laws, but providing that you meet the rules many homeopaths do not need any kind of formal certification providing that they don't claim certain things. Look at the laws in your own state.
BeginningHomeopath last decade
Hi everyone!
Thanks so much for your valuable suggestions. I liked the idea of spreading by word & flyers in health food stores.
umadevigaddam last decade

I am dhanvi.. I have done BHMS frm IND. I am in USA. Can anyone suggest me how to proceed further ? Thankss
dhanvi last decade
try this dear .....hope it helps . contact this persons here in the directory they may be able to help ya ...if not ask me again ill find out

zambian last decade
oh sorry i forgot to paste the link

zambian last decade
U can start ur practice as online homeopath. There is a huge south asian community living here who is always looking for homeopath
lal_anar last decade

thanks for responding me.. how i can start as a online homeopath..
dhanvi last decade
create a account on Google Pay
or at Paypal.com
make ur website. Preferable on yahoo or google. Its very cheap for first year than every year depends on traffic, price is
not high. Google and Yahoo will add ur website if anyone looking for Homeopath in USA. This means google and yahoo are advertising for ur business. Keep ur price competitive. there are many homeopath working from India as online consultant they charge monthly $50 - $70 for consultation. In USA i think u can charge $25 - $40 per visit.
lal_anar last decade
also, go to

this is south asian website u can advertise urself for free

u can also work from home for south asian community. u don't need a license from ur state if u r doing from home.
lal_anar last decade
Hi Lal_anar,

As you said, if a homoeopath works from home, through website, then he does not need a license from state even if he is in USA, does it mean that he can suggest the medicines? Can an online homoeopath be sued by patient, or can the state take action against him if not US qualified or licensed?

Secondly, will he be allowed to actually meet the patients, or he can only suggest online?

Is there a website that you can suggest to learn more about laws and regulations in usa regarding online homoeopathic practice?
shksaq last decade
Hello to all of you!

I would appreciate if you could update on the initial question - it is possible to practice homeopathy in new jersey..

could anyone share how to go about it.

have the BHMS Degree.
dolphin1982 last decade
It is illegal to practice any type of medicine unless you are board certified MD or Nurse in New Jersey. I know some south asians are doing it in NY & NJ but they are risking fines and jail time. My suggestion don't do it ..if reported you could get jail time and branded as felon for life. Not worth the risk.
nikkinolan last decade
What about practicing naturopathy? In US generally naturopaths are giving homeo remedies, may be to circumvent the law.
kadwa last decade
In USA (all states), to practice a medical doctor you need licence. Which means USMLE, residency, board certification etc. How ever to practice as a health consultant, you do not need a medical licence. and 'health consultant' practice is regulated by different states differently. I think, in Texas anyone can practice as a health consultant, but health consultants are not allowed to diagnose, or cure or prescribe a medicine or medical procedure.

The way all the Homeopaths work in USA is by putting a disclaimer that they are not prescribing any medicine and just advising a homeopathic medicine. But anyway a patient can buy homeopathy drugs without a prescription. Which solves the problem.

The main problem Homeo practitioner face is, no insurance company pays for their service.

Check for 'health Adviser/consultant rules' for the state where you want to practice. Most states it is very easy.

In five states, California, Idaho, Minnesota, New Mexico and Rhode Island, specific laws, often referred to as 'Health Freedom Acts', were passed protecting the practice of alternative medicine and the practitioners who provide those services. The practice of alternative medicine is protected within these laws so long as the practice falls within the limitations of the law and does not impinge on the scope of practice of other licensed health care professions. Additional states are actively pursuing similar laws.

Those who has a ND degree are licensed as physicians in about 13 states.

Check with the individual state government websites before making a decision of practicing homeopathy. Remember you can not call yourself a medical doctor.
[message edited by vramulu on Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:01:53 GMT]
[message edited by vramulu on Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:03:00 GMT]
vramulu 9 years ago

Post ReplyTo post a reply, you must first LOG ON or Register


Information given in this forum is given by way of exchange of views only, and those views are not necessarily those of ABC Homeopathy. It is not to be treated as a medical diagnosis or prescription, and should not be used as a substitute for a consultation with a qualified homeopath or physician. It is possible that advice given here may be dangerous, and you should make your own checks that it is safe. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention. Bear in mind that even minor symptoms can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, and a timely diagnosis by your doctor could save your life.