Extreme hair loss since May 2010Hello, I'm not sure where to turn w/this as it's becoming an obsession. I've had excessive hair loss since May 2010 on the top and sides of my head to the point where you can now see my scalp and can only attribute it to taking Wellbutrin for two months, which I have stopped now for a month. I was also taking phentremine off and on, but have stopped that for a month too.
I'm a 39 year old female and currently take the following:
Bioidentical progesterone hormone replacement therapy (hysterectomy in 12/08, but kept ovaries)
Iodine (2 caps a day)
Multivitamin GNC women's
Hair Vitamins GNC
DHEA 25 mg
I'm at a loss as to what is going on as my hormones and blood work look fine although my iron stores are just barely normal, so I've upped my iron to two pills a day and eat more greens.My doctor is now testing my DHT levels and some new Neuro transmitter test. If that comes back inconclusive, she's moving onto a test for heavy metals.
I don't know what to do, I'm afraid to take or stop taking anything else for this.
I thought by stopping the Wellbutrin & phentremine, it would have stopped my hair loss? My doctor does not think the hair loss is related to these drugs.
Samsays on 2010-08-21
and post all the questions here duly answered. On that basis your remedy may be worked out.
Please write why did you opt for hysterectomy in 12/08.
♡ kadwa last decade
Hysterectomy in 12/08 due to excessive non-stop bleeding after birth of fourth child in 07/08. Six weeks after her birth stopped bleeding for two weeks, then started period again. Would stop for two weeks, then start again. This is embarrassing, but I think partially what led to the problem had bowel impaction while in hospital during recovery from birth in 07/08 and I think because of the straining, uterine ligaments relaxed and caused a tilted uterus.
Lining of uterus also had problems too such as would expand, then contract, not releasing all the blood during menses, so doctor told me it was hardened. Also had old calcified fibroids.
I kept my ovaries (doctor had to remove part of the left one due to excessive bleeding???) and removed my cervix.
Prior to this, I did have a tubal ligation during the c-section of my fourth child.
Rishimba has designed a very good Questionnaire (Set of Questions) for case taking. He designed this long back. i have been using these questions whenever i think that full case taking is needed.
These questions are designed to get the following information from the patient
1. Mental State of the patient
2. Physical Ailments
3. The likely cause for above problems
4. The modalities like whether the patient feels well or worse in hot weather, cold weather etc., he is relieved by / worsenened by hot applications, cold applications etc.
i also thank Rishimba for designing such wonderful tool for case taking. i can also understand the hard work that he has done for desiging these questions.
Patients can use this questionnaire for submitting their cases. The effectiveness of remedy selection is directly proportional to the details provided by the patient while replying these questions.
Patient ID: Sex: Age: Female, 39
Please answer the following questions in a descriptive manner after careful analysis and recollection of previous experiences and happenings.
1. Describe your main suffering? Hair loss and irritation w/this. Just want to be healthy and seems like the more I do towards that goal, the worse situation (hair loss gets)
2. What other physical sufferings do you have in your body? Weight gain and loss of ten pounds. Yo-yo dieting and exercise over past six months.
Two of my children are in pre-school and brought home stomache viruses which I caught in April, May, and June. These episodes included fever, vomitting, and diarehea.
I've also had hemmroids during that time-frame (I think related to the above mentioned bowel incident after giving birth to my fourth baby). Those seem to be better after cutting down on milk and adding in more fiber to my diet.
3. What mental sufferings / feelings do you have associated with your physical sufferings? I have four beautiful kids ages 2, 3, 5, and 14 and the noise and arguing does get to me at times. Husband is a phenomenal salesman and that type of personality is very insecure and needy so that wears on me a bit. His biological mother is bipolar and I see some of that in him and his siblings. He also seems to go up and down especially in this economy and I dont like to ride that mental wave with him.
That is why I asked the doctor for the Wellbutrin. It really seemed to help me no react to everything and everyone around me. I was able to stay more calm, focused and patient and not react or be so tired and worn out at the end of the day.
The Wellbutrin also seemed to help me not take on everyone else's negative energies and emotions if that makes sense.
4. What exactly do you feel when you are at your worst?
In the morning, Im just not, and never will be a morning person.
5. When did it all start? Can you connect it to any past event or disease?
I started complaining to my doctor about losing my hair in May, but noticed it really bad since June 2010.
After doing blood work and hormones coming back okay, we just attributed it to the stomache bugs I had in April, May, and June.
6. Which time of the day you are worst? The morning, and sometimes the evening when Ive had a particulary trying day.
7. What are the things which aggravate your suffering and which are those which ameliorate the same? My husband in all his wisdom (sarcastic me) telling me its all okay, or Im just going to have to live with the hair loss.
My kids whining, yelling, and fighting, which I know is normal.
I would actually be okay with this if I knew what was causing it and that it would stop soon.
8. Do your think your sufferings have relation to any external stimuli (like, change of place) or any internal biological changes in the body, like, menses (in females)?
I have been diagnosed around this same time frame by my OBGYN with a vaginal/bladder prolapse. I was told on a scale of 1-4, its a 2 and was planning on having that operated on the end of September. Surgery is and isnt necessary at this point. Its a tolerable situation, but would help if had it done. They do a re-suspension of the vagina and lift the bladder. Its called a designer vagina if you will. I dont dare do this operation now until I get my current problem w/hair loss under control since anesthesia causes me more hair loss.
9. When do you feel better, during hot weather or cold weather, humid or dry weather?
Its not that I feel better, I just like the cold weather. I like it dry too, I dont like to sweat unless its exercise induced.
10. Describe your general mental set up? Are you Moody, Arrogant, Mild, Agreeable Changeable, Nervous, Suspicious, Easily offended, Quiet, Arguing, Irritating, Lazy etc.
I was raised to be a people pleaser so, Im a mix depending on the situation and people Im around. I would love to be lazy, but dont have a lifestyle that provides that and I pride myself in working hard and getting a lot done.
- How do you feel before or during a thunderstorm? fine, kind of like it. Being warm and cozy and safe inside. Don't want to be out in one.
- Do you like being consoled during your tough times? Yes, but Im the consoler now.
- Are you sensitive to external stimuli like smell, noise, light etc? Definitely smell and light at night. Can't stand perfumes or colognes... they bug me and I get headaches.
- Do you have any typical habit or gesture like nail biting, causeless
weeping, talking to one self etc? Not really. I've been told I'm obsessive about cleaning and being orderly with my life and home. I just like things a certain way. It makes me feel better to see cleanliness and orderliness.
- How do you feel about your friends, family, your children and especially your husband / wife?
Im basically a loner, youngest of three kids (my two older brothers are 10 and 11 years older), so I always had to play and entertain myself and I love to be alone.
My current life doesnt allow much of that. I adore and love my husband and kids, but get irritated if I dont get to be alone or left alone enough. Seems like someone always wants something from me! Husband is always asking if Im okay and its just irritating. Husband lately seems to be picking a lot of fights too maybe its me since I went off the Wellbutrin.
11. What are your fears and do you dream of any situation repeatedly? ? Im not sure. I do have a fear of being poor. Not having enough of????? Ive always overstocked on food and clothes, but Im definitely not a hoarder. I throw out and donate a lot of stuff and have to be systematically organized. Ive had some dreams in the past where husband is cheating on me, or me on him? I'm not really remembering my dreams at this point, but do have them.
12. What do you crave for in food items and what are your aversions?
Definitely sugar. My father, his father, my brothers, etc. all alcoholics. I love red wine, but can take or leave it. Its the sugar Im addicted too.
13. How is your thirst: Less, Normal or Excessive? Normal to excessive. I love water and drink a ton during the day up to or more than 100 ounces a day.
14. How if your hunger: Less, Normal or Excessive? Normal. This past week Ive worked towards eating five to six small meals and Im hungry like clock work every three hours.
Overall, I feed my family healthy whole foods, and I just want to get off the diet yo-yo cycle.
15. Is there any kind of food which your body cant stand? Spicy hot.
16. Is your sweat normal or less or more? Where does it sweat more: Head, Trunk or Limbs? I would say I sweat more in the trunk, but we do live in Central California and summers here are hot.
17. How is your bowel movement and stool type? Fine, especially since Ive cut down on milk which is about the same time I started losing hair. I still drink it off and on too. I've also added a probiotic and fiber and that has helped otherwise I have a tendency towards constipation.
18. How well do you sleep? Do you have a particular posture of sleeping? I sleep fine and use ear plugs and sleep on my sides. My kids do get me up once in a while, but when Im out, Im out!
19. Do you think you are able to satisfy your sexual desires in general? I guess. Sex has not been the same since the hysterectomy. Its good, but not as good after losing my cervix and vagina. It is a lot better since going off Wellbutrin.
20. How do you think you are different from others, if at all? I used to, but dont think so much anymore. Im more accepting of myself.
21. What medications have been taken earlier by you to treat the diseases and do you have any particular symptom surfacing after the medication? Phentremine, Wellbutrin both which Im thinking lead to hair loss, but Ive been off both for about a month now. Im also taking bioidentical progesterone cream, iodoral (2 tablets), vitamin d3, DHEA 25mg, multi vitamin, triboron plus (2 caps), iron, Udo's oil & hair vitamins. Today, in desperation over this hair loss, I added Rogaine.
22. What major diseases are running in your family? Mouth and skin cancer both lifestyle induced. Dont know what else as no one in my family went to the doctor.
I know I've had a couple of relatives on mom's side kill themselves. My mom's mother did have Alzheimers.
23. Describe, how do you look like? Describe your overall appearance. 5 3, stocky build, weigh 144 with twenty percent body fat. Chin length dark brown reddish hair, light Irish skin, brown eyes.
I used to look cute and was told I was sexy. Now I just dont feel it anymore?
24. (ONLY FOR FEMALES)
If you are not having normal menstrual cycles, please answer the following questions:
- Are the periods early, regular or late in general? How long do they last?
- Do you suffer from any kind of physical or mental discomfort before, during or after the periods? My periods were fine before the hysterectomy until after the birth of my fourth child in July 2008. After that it was a heavy flow, I felt heavy down in my pelvis, it was very painful to the point of nausea and sweating. I couldnt have a bowel movement and my lower back hurt bad too.
- Is the flow scanty, normal or excessive? Excessive.
- Is the blood thick bright red or pale watery? Regular blood color and cosistency
- Do you notice any clots in the flow? No
Samsays last decade
One dose means
If the medicine is in pills form 4 pills. Don't touch pills with hand. Use cap of bottle to take pills.
If the medicine is in liquid dilution form, 3-4 drops in some 20 ml water. Sip up slowly.
Please follow homeo restrictions like no coffee, no raw onion/garlic, no strong perfumes, don't eat or drink anything within 30 minutes before or after taking medicine.
♡ kadwa last decade
To post a reply, you must first LOG ON or Register
Information given in this forum is given by way of exchange of views only, and those views are not necessarily those of ABC Homeopathy. It is not to be treated as a medical diagnosis or prescription, and should not be used as a substitute for a consultation with a qualified homeopath or physician. It is possible that advice given here may be dangerous, and you should make your own checks that it is safe. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention. Bear in mind that even minor symptoms can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, and a timely diagnosis by your doctor could save your life.