possible thyroid problem or not?Hi,
I have been generally 'under the weather' for a lttle while. My sinuses have been bad adn I have tried treating myself with kali bich, hepar sulph, and finally pulsatilla, all 30c. Whilst I have had some improvement the underlying problem has not gone away. I am not experienced enough to feel I could up the dose without some guidance. Also I have got this swelling of my glands, originally just a little in my armoit. I thought it was maybe just fat, it didn't hurt at all but it has definitely got a little more pronounced adn now my neck seems ouffed up as well. I though it might be thyroid, a couple of years back my doctor said I was just borderline for an underactive thyroid but it wasn't then necessary to treat. here is my completed questionaire:
Patient ID: Sex: F Age: 58
Please answer the following questions in a descriptive manner after careful analysis and recollection of previous experiences and happenings.
1. Describe your main suffering?
Swelling under left armpit, swelling at front of neck, ear ache (right), sinus congestion
2. What other physical sufferings do you have in your body?
Tiinnitus right is worse. I pick up vibrations of some noises which can seem loud enough to keep me awake at night even though my husband cannot hear anything. Chilliness, especially limbs, hands and feet, Raynauds syndrome. Itchy dry skin. Thinning hair.
restless sleep. Lethargy. Deafness. Hot flashes for which I take hormones.
3. What mental sufferings / feelings do you have associated with your physical sufferings?
Lots of fears, for example I cannot drive, ride a bike or swim, all because of fear. Also worry about my family and the future.
Loss of libido.
4. What exactly do you feel when you are at your worst?
Exhausted, dont want to do anything. Want to sit at home with my husband and watch movies.
5. When did it all start? Can you connect it to any past event or disease?
Cant be certain but I think some of it started with menopause, 3 years ago. Fears are lifelong. Deafness I have had since a child but getting worse on a couple of occasions. I had a blow to the back of the head that might have contributed
Tinnitus in left since 20 but has improved, tinnitus in right is quite new came with the sinus. Sinus problems on and off for a few years, seldom too bad but got worse after a plane trip.
6. Which time of the day you are worst?
Evening just before sleep.
7. What are the things which aggravate your suffering and which are those which ameliorate the same?
better when I am out doing something, in fresh but not cold air, walking, shopping.
8. Do you think your sufferings have relation to any external stimuli (like, change of place) or any internal biological changes in the body, like, menses (in females)?
9. When do you feel better, during hot weather or cold weather, humid or dry weather?
hate cold weather, love the sunshine.
10. Describe your general mental set up? Are you Moody, Arrogant, Mild, Agreeable Changeable, Nervous, Suspicious, Easily offended, Quiet, Arguing, Irritating, Lazy etc.
Usually quiet and mild. Can be stubborn, also suspicious and jealous. Prone to weepiness. Lazy of late. Timid, sometimes bossy.
- How do you feel before or during a thunderstorm?
often get a headache before a storm
- Do you like being consoled during your tough times?
Yes I do, but only by my husband, I keep most things private
- Are you sensitive to external stimuli like smell, noise, light etc?
seem oversensitive to bright light. Also my right ear is sensitive couldnt wear a hearing aid because the vibrations gave me earache.
- Do you have any typical habit or gesture like nail biting, causeless
weeping, talking to one self etc?
- How do you feel about your friends, family, your children and especially your husband / wife?
Im really happy with my husband, I feel bad when I am away from him. Have a great sister and a few friends. I avoid other people because of my hearing problems
11. What are your fears and do you dream of any situation repeatedly?
My biggest fear is losing my husband, being alone. I have weird vivid but meaningless dreams science fiction!
12. What do you crave for in food items and what are your aversions?
constantly crave chocolate. Like milk things. Have been off eggs since menopause started. Coffee upsets me and even the smell I find unpalatable.
13. How is your thirst: Less, Normal or Excessive?
get dry but not really thirsty, I drink water in the daytime in small doses.
14. How if your hunger: Less, Normal or Excessive?
hunger has been slightly above normal
15. Is there any kind of food which your body cant stand?
seafood, at least the slimy kind. coffee
16. Is your sweat normal or less or more? Where does it sweat more: Head, Trunk or Limbs?
normal, except when I was having the hot flashes, then it was worse on trunk and backs of knees.
17. How is your bowel movement and stool type?
regular motions but change with foods, usually soft, a bit crumbly
18. How well do you sleep? Do you have a particular posture of sleeping?
restless sleep on a bad night I will wake every hour. Often I will wake between 3 am and 4am and cannot get back to sleep
19. Do you think you are able to satisfy your sexual desires in general?
Have had loss of libido for the last few years
20. How do you think you are different from others, if at all?
not sure perhaps more thoughtful, empathetic Sensitive to my surroundings, smells.
21. What medications have been taken earlier by you to treat the diseases and do you have any particular symptom surfacing after the medication?
Taking natural estrogen, gained weight, also enlarged breasts.
22. What major diseases are running in your family?
mother had thyroid problems, grandmother had diabetes. Both parents were heavy smokers.
23. Describe, how do you look like? Describe your overall appearance
medium height, dark hair (going grey), fair skin. A bit overweigh, large breasts and belly fat. Used to be fairly slim but not skinny, always curvy. I look younger than I am.
24. (ONLY FOR FEMALES)
If your menstrual cycles are not normal, please describe the irregularities, like pains, moods, flow type, clots etc.
25. What major diseases have you had in your life and when. Please write them in a chronological manner.
Had mastoiditis at age 7, mastoid bone was removed on left ear.
Had tonsils and adenoids removed a year later.
Used to suffer from dizzy spells as a child also bad travel sickness which has improved as I got older although petrol fumes will still
Had all the usual childhood illnesses, mumps, chicken pox, measles.
Severe hot flashes at menopause. ( every hour, severe enough that I would need to sit down and I was getting no sleep at all)
winnieandco on 2011-05-11
To post a reply, you must first LOG ON or Register
Information given in this forum is given by way of exchange of views only, and those views are not necessarily those of ABC Homeopathy. It is not to be treated as a medical diagnosis or prescription, and should not be used as a substitute for a consultation with a qualified homeopath or physician. It is possible that advice given here may be dangerous, and you should make your own checks that it is safe. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention. Bear in mind that even minor symptoms can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, and a timely diagnosis by your doctor could save your life.