Cough with phlegm-chronicMale, 67 yrs.
Illness: Frequent cough with phlegm. Suffering for many years.
It is irrespective of season, day and night times.
I rarely sleep well. I wake up with congestion, but could not resume sleep for a long time.
I am a strict vegetarian. I could feel phlegm immediately after taking any milk product. I restrict my coffee intake to just one cup in the morning on waking up.
I had constipation problem for a long time, it is not any more.
Earlier I experienced wheezing when coughed, but now rarely I get wheezing, only chest congestion and cough continues.
Occasionally I feel acute shortness of breath without any presence of phlegm, compelling me to rush to emergency medical help.
I have no heart problem, Angio done; clear, no blockage. Xray shows TB negative.
Current Medication: I take Ant Tart 200 or Caust 200; Phlegm comes out immediately with relief in cough. But the problem continues for years.
Usually, phlegm used to be white or greyish, but of late, it is yellowish or greenish.
I request experts in the forum to kindly suggest me suitable remedy including any suggestion on food habits (south indian). My thanks in advance.
arulpra on 2015-01-29
milk and cheese for a
time ( say 2 weeks )
Dairy allergies create mucous. They also create
hidden inflammation that can go on for a couple weeks
after just having milk once.
The shortness of breath can come from just a tiny
bit of mucous stuck in the bronchial tubes that you
won't even feel it is in there ( so no need to cough) Also you can have
the shortness of breath if you are too acidic and
having reflux ( you may not feel any indigestion or
burning or food in the esophagus.) you will just feel
really tight around the breast bone area and that you
can't get a good breath.
This above can be from things like having chocolate
every day , too much acidic food, too much sugar.
[message edited by simone717 on Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:57:10 GMT]
♡ simone717 5 years ago
Please list here your routine regarding meals, exercise, sleep and your job.
fitness 5 years ago
Many thanks for your prompt response.
1.Wake up 7 am.
2.Drink a glass of warm water
3.Do few lung stretching exercises, Pranayam. Forward bending in sitting position-10times.
4.Walking 20 to 30 mts.I could not walk more time as my breathing becomes difficult beyond this point.
5. Break fast-
Idli or Dosa or uppuma with cocanut chutney or chilly chutney. One day in a week, Whole wheat bread with vegetables and no cheese.
6.Shopping or banking works for 1 hour.
7.Lunch at 2pm - White boiled rice, sambar, rasam,veg porial or koottu, complete with one spoon of curd diluted with water.
8.Evening 5pm- Generally Sukku coffee in water, occasionally tea with milk.
9.View TV 1 hr.
10.Dinner at 9pm - Rice with rasam, no butter milk.
11.Go to sleep around 11pm.
I wake up around 1am with cough. I take Ant Tart200 one dose, phlegm comes out. I could go back to sleep only after 1 hour or more.
12.Generally I prefer drinking warm water, spicy food, medium salt.
13.Allopathic medications: I take Diabetic tablet after meals.
I take inhaler Seroflow, morning and evening for controlling or preventing asthma attack, though it is not much of use of late. I am experiencing shortness of breath almost 24 hours.
14. Work: I am a Chemical engineer retired in 2001.Worked in Ammonia, urea manufacturing factory for 15 yrs till yr 1987. My wheezing problems started first during the first few yrs. of working in factory. I look forward to have your views.
arulpra 5 years ago
Thanks for your response. Yes I have gone completely without milk for a week, may be 2 years before, with much reduced phlegm issues.
arulpra 5 years ago
One of the best known phlegm reducer is black chick pea or its flour.
When was the last time you did a complete medical check up including blood test for CBC, sugar & BP.
What is your fasting sugar & HbA1C.
fitness 5 years ago
cbc done on 7.8.2014.
rbc count 4.98million/cu.mm
total wbc count 7900
bp 126/81 (dt. 28/12/2014)
hope the info.is suffice.
should i stop rice altogether. if so alternative?
please advise. thanks.
arulpra 5 years ago
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS FIRST BEFORE ANSWERING QUESTIONS:
Homeopathy works only if you give truthful answers, no matter how awkward or intimate. If you dont want to do that, its better you stop here and dont proceed.
Please reply to all that is being asked and give details.
Short answers such as Yes/No/Normal are not helpful.
I want answers which explain the What, When, Where, Why, Better by & Worse by.
Example: I have a sore throat (it explains the what), since 3 days (it explains when), on the left side of my throat (explains where), due to eating sour food (explains why), the pain is better when I drink warm tea (explains Better by), the pain is worse when I swallow food (explains worse by)
Please leave the questions in place and give your answers under each of them.
I cant prescribe if these directions are not fully adhered to.
1. Your age & sex
2. Describe your appearance
Body type (Very thin, Thin, Medium, Chubby, Fat, Obese)
Any significant feature (e.g. sunken cheeks, stooped shoulders, thin chest etc.)
3. Your profession
4. Describe your personality in at least 20 words (e.g. stubborn, lazy, suicidal, dont want to work, always in a hurry etc.)
5. How is your relationship with your parents, spouse, siblings, children etc.
6. If relationship is not ok, whats wrong and how is it affecting you
7. Do you smoke/drink/drugs, if yes, details of why & since when
8. What is your main health problem & its symptoms
9. When did this main problem begin
10. What is the cause of this problem in your view
11. What non-medicinal actions make the main problem better (e.g. massage, warmth, cold, lying down, sitting etc.)
12. What non-medicinal actions make it worse (e.g. massage, warmth, cold, lying down, sitting etc.)
13. How do you feel mentally & emotionally during this problem (e.g. weepy, irritable, restless, sad, hopeless, fear of death etc.)
14. What other health problems do you have
15. List down all health problems and when did they start (approximate month & year)
16. What non-medicinal actions make these other health problems better (explain each problem)
17. What non-medicinal actions make these other health problems worse (explain each problem)
18. What animals or insects are you afraid of
19. What situations are you afraid of (e.g. loneliness, water, heights, closed spaces, ocean, darkness, flying etc)
20. What occupies your mind mostly
21. How do you respond to consolation & sympathy
22. Do you want to stay alone or with people
23. How is your sleep, if not good, why
24. Do you have any recurring (repeating) dreams, if yes, what do you see
25. Is your complaint affected by weather, if so, which weather affects & how
26. Do you normally feel hot or cold
27. What foods you crave & love (not what you eat due to health or other reasons, rather what you desire)
28. Is there any food that you hate
29. What taste you crave & love (e.g. sweet, salty, sour, bitter)
30. Is there any taste which you hate
31. Do you like warm or cold food
32. Do you want to eat indigestible foods (chalk, lead pencil, mud .)
33. How is your thirst (less, moderate, excessive)
34. Do you have excessively dry lips or mouth or both
35. Do you have any coating on tongue first thing in the morning, if yes
Is coating thick
Color of coating
Where exactly (back, middle, sides etc)
36. Any taste in your mouth first thing in the morning (e.g. bitter, sour, metallic)
37. How is your skin (dry, oily, rough, acne, pustules, boils, psoriasis etc), upload here or email me a picture of the skin problem
38. Details about your perspiration (sweat), answer all these points:
Where mostly (head, chest, back etc)
How much (a lot, normal, very less)
Any strong smell (garlic, onion etc)
Does it stain, if yes what color (yellow, green, no color)
39. Any problems with eyes/vision, if yes, since when
40. Any problems with ears, nose, throat (e.g. nose always blocked, runny, color of discharge)
41. How is your stool, answer all these points: how often, consistency, any blood, any particular smell etc.
42. How is your urine, answer all these points: color, smell, any blood etc.
43. How is your sex desire (e.g. no desire, low, moderate, high, very high)
44. Are you satisfied with your sex life, if no, why not
45. Males genitals (any problems with erection, any pain, any itching, warts etc.)
46. Female genitals (any pain, itching, warts etc)
47. Females menses details (reply to all these points)
Regularity (early, late, irregular, duration of cycle)
Flow (low, moderate, high)
Clots (none, some, a lot, huge clots, bright color, dark color)
Any discharge (color, consistency, smell)
48. What illnesses are running in your family
49. Are you taking any medicines (allopathic, homeopathic, supplements, acupuncture etc.)
50. Have you had any surgeries or implants, if yes, give details
51. Have you had any long term treatment (physical or psychological), if yes, give details (what, when, where, why, the list of medicines used)
52. What homeopathic remedies have you taken in the past (potency, dosage, approx. time frame)
fitness 5 years ago
To post a reply, you must first LOG ON or Register
Information given in this forum is given by way of exchange of views only, and those views are not necessarily those of ABC Homeopathy. It is not to be treated as a medical diagnosis or prescription, and should not be used as a substitute for a consultation with a qualified homeopath or physician. It is possible that advice given here may be dangerous, and you should make your own checks that it is safe. If symptoms persist, seek professional medical attention. Bear in mind that even minor symptoms can be a sign of a more serious underlying condition, and a timely diagnosis by your doctor could save your life.